Monday, November 18, 2013

Striped Wall and Tip for Attic Doors



Hello everyone, hope your weekend went well, it was unusually warm here this past weekend..for someone who has been enjoying the cooler temps, this was very much an unwelcome change.  

If you follow me on Instagram (thevelvetdoor), you have gotten a glimpse of what I have been doing for the past few days.  I have wanted to do stripes somewhere in our home for a few months now, and I felt a little motivation kicking in last week, so I went ahead, and picked a wall that has been on my to do list for a while.  Here is how it looked before:




It’s not that I did not like it, I just felt like it was not me anymore.  After pinning away some inspirations on Pinterest, I decided to go ahead, and keep the current color I already had, but to use a much lighter shade for the other stripes.  I had also seen pictures of multiple stripes, with different shades, and that left me thinking that I should also add an accent color as well.








The tan color is rattan by Benjamin Moore, the light color is white navajo by Benjamin Moore (colored matched to Glidden) and the accent color is Martha Stewart metallic paint in golden pearl. The stripes are all far from perfect, I even had a little mishap when removing the tape:



Nothing a little free hand painting could not fix, but it was still a headache, and I can’t figure out if it was the tape, or the paint that caused this.  I did learn a little tip thanks to Jennifer and Sarah:  Next time, after the tape is up, paint along the lines where the new color will go with the same color as the current one on the walls, after that dries, paint with the new color, and (this is very important) peel tape off after last coat is up!  Do not let it dry with the tape on.  Nothing good will come out from that, trust me.

And while I was at it, something kept bothering me.  I had looked a few weeks back what I could replace this gorgeousness of a pull string with:


Found some things, but was not willing to pay the money for it, so I basically made my own:


and this to help pull it down with:




Got the knob at Hobby Lobby on clearance for a $1.06, the wooden dowel at Walmart (for less than $3) and the hook I had on hand from a previous project.  I might get crafty, and paint or decorate the dowel in the future, but for now, it’s staying as is.  This works great, and took care of the ugly pull string situation. 

Now, the really fun thing about this whole thing:  decorating that wall.  I have a couple of ideas, and will give some a try, since I know I’m bound to dislike some once they are up on my wall.  As soon as that is ready, I will be back to share.

Hope everyone has a fantastic, and hopefully cooler, week!
Kristel






8 comments:

  1. i have never painted stripes so i can't give you any tips, but yours look great!! and that looks SO much cleaner than that string!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trina, hopeI didn't scare you from doing stripes one day ;) And yes, it is so much more clean looking without that ugly pull string.

      Delete
  2. The stripes looks awesomeeeee, and that little attic door trick is awesome! Looks SO much better...I might have to copy you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it, took me years to figure something out for that annoying string.

      Delete
  3. The stripes turned out so good. Your attic door reminds me of the one at my grandparents house ~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete